The Citizenship Act 2000 (Act 591) makes provision for the acquisition of dual citizenship. The law further makes provision for the renunciation of Ghanaian citizenship in circumstances where the country for which the person has acquired additional citizenship does not recognize dual citizenship.
The law provides that:
“A citizen of Ghana may hold the citizenship of any other country in addition to his Citizenship of Ghana”.
The law also provides that:
“If any citizen of Ghana of age and capacity who is also a citizen of another country makes a declaration of renunciation of citizenship of Ghana, the Minister shall cause the declaration to be registered; and upon registration that person shall cease to be a citizen of Ghana”.
The procedure to renounce Ghanaian citizenship is as follows:
• Purchase renunciation form 13 with copies of applicant’s passport
• An application letter addressed to the Minister of the Interior
• Copy of the bio-data page of Ghanaian passport(s) of applicant , renunciation form 13 and a foreign passport if any.
• assurance letter from the country where applicant is acquiring new citizenship
• Two (2) passport size pictures with white background
• Curriculum vitae of applicant
• Copy of receipt of payment for renunciation form
Disclaimer: The information you obtain from this article is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult a lawyer for advice regarding your individual situation. Contacting us or viewing this article does not create lawyer-client relationship.